Hourly Wage/Annual Salary
Hours per Week
Full-time (35-40 hours)
About this Job
The incumbent ensures and provides management, design and contract administration services for capital projects for the Engineering Services Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Oversees, completes, or coordinates the design and construction of in-house capital infrastructure projects or manages consultant controlled projects including reviewing all reports and designs to ensure compliance with City Servicing Standards and sound engineering principles.
2. Oversees and inspects capital projects including performance evaluation of consultants and contractors. Issues “stop-work” orders and recommends the issuance of construction completion and final acceptance certificates.
3. Prepares and controls project budgets, and contributes to the preparation and control of the Departmental operating budgets.
4. Recruits, directs, trains, schedules and appraises the performance of reporting staff projects under the incumbent’s control. Is authorized to issue verbal reprimands and contributes to higher level of discipline in accordance with the progressive discipline directive.
5. Collects and analyzes technical data, undertakes studies, researches, and prepares and presents reports for approval. Reviews consultant or planning reports and provide comments based on technical knowledge and approved standards.
6. Under the direction of the Manager designs and prepares drawings, reports, local improvement bylaws, and contract specifications related to the improvement of the City’s water, sewer, drainage, and transportation infrastructures, ensuring environmental approvals as required.
7. Coordinates, manages and/or reviews the utility companies upgrading of power, telephone, cable TV, and data infrastructures as part of the City’s infrastructure renewal, or when proposed new utility upgrades impact existing infrastructures.
8. Prepares tenders, quotations and proposal calls; evaluates the same for completeness and compliance; and awards or recommends awards in accordance with City Purchasing Policy.
9. Reviews and recommends changes to City Engineering Servicing Standards.
10. Supplies technical expertise to other departments in relation to infrastructure design, construction and operation, and interprets City Engineering Standards for the public, consultants and contractors.
11. Reviews and recommends purchase of engineering equipment and software and maintains and updates database systems and models.
12. Coordinates, performs or assists in performing survey activities.
13. Identifies easement requirements and assists with negotiating Easement Agreements and land acquisitions with property owners.
14. Follows, and ensures reporting staff follows, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
15. Acts as Manager, Engineering & Environmental Services as assigned; assumes the duties of other Engineering Technologists as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Bachelor of Applied Science Degree with Professional Engineer Designation and 5 years progressive municipal experience (preferred); or Civil Engineering Technology Diploma, with CET Designation and sufficient years of progressive municipal engineering experience to be able to obtain a Limited Licence to Practice as issued by the Association of Professional Engineers of the Yukon (minimum).
• Previous experience - 5 years progressive related municipal experience, including a minimum of 1 year supervisory experience.
• Coursework/training in Transportation, Traffic, Water, Sewer, and Drainage Infrastructures, Environmental Protection, and Landfill Systems
• Supervisory Courses
• Class 5 Driver’s License
• Standard First Aid with CPR Level C, Confined Space Entry, Electrical Hazards and Trenching Safety Certificates or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
• Proven project management, decision-making/problem solving and interpersonal skills
• Strong customer service orientation, demonstrated ability to be self directed.
Required To Operate Equipment Such As:
Light transportation vehicle, canoe or small boat, survey instruments including survey data recorder, testing and recording equipment, computer with applications such as GIS, Word, data base systems, Excel, AutoCAD, flow meters, SCADA, Traffic Signal Controllers and Counters, various engineering software packages such as: EPANET (water model),transportation modeling and Eagle Point design software.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Preference will be given to candidates that have experience working in northern cold climates.
This is a Salary Range16 position ($41.39-$48.70 per hour).
Interested candidates should forward applications/ resumes, clearly outlining how their experience and education meet the position requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm, February 4, 2013. Please quote job posting #003-ENG-13.
This job was posted on Jan 18, 2013
and will be removed on Feb 04, 2013
All applications must be received before Feb 04, 2013
City of Whitehorse
To apply for this Job
Interested candidates should forward resumes, clearly outlining how their experience and education meet the position requirements, to email@example.com by the specified closing date. Please quote the job posting reference.