Hourly Wage/Annual Salary
$20 to $25/hr
Hours per Week
Full-time (35-40 hours)
About this Job
The Learning Disabilities Association of Yukon (LDAY) is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of children, youth and adults with learning disabilities.
LDAY works to provide leadership in learning disabilities advocacy, education, programs and services and to advance the full participation of children, youth and adults with learning disabilities in today’s society.
This is a term position from late June 2013 until March 31, 2014 with the possibility of extension based on funding.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Conduct client intakes and initiate referrals to LDAY programs and other organizations as required; - Manage a caseload of adult clients;
• Liaise with schools, post-secondary institutions, employers and other training providers to recommend and support the implementation of accommodations and support strategies for clients;
• Provide informal employment counseling related to learning disabilities;
• Facilitate specialized literacy tutoring through the LDAY Tutor Program and other community agencies;
• Support adults with learning disabilities and ADHD through transitions (such as between jobs, education and employment, high school and post-secondary);
• Provide clients with orientation to assistive technology;
• Coordinate educational psychological assessment clinics;
• Make presentations to community groups, employers, educators about learning disabilities and strategies to address them.
Requirements and Qualifications
• Specific education (Bachelor's degree) in education, psychology, community development, or equivalent combination of education and experience working with children and/or adults with learning disabilities;
• Comprehensive understanding of learning disabilities;
• Understanding of human rights issues pertaining to disabilities;
• Superior interpersonal skills;
• Demonstrated ability to successfully work with people with LD/ADHD and their families;
• Intrinsic desire to stay up to date on the latest research-based strategies in the LD field;
• Willingness to travel to Yukon communities;
• Creative and collaborative approach to problem-solving and advocacy;
• Sense of initiative and ability to "get things done";
• Client-centered approach;
• Valid driver's license.
This is a full-time, term position. Health benefits are included after a three month probationary period.
For more information or a complete job description, please contact LDAY.
This job was posted on May 06, 2013
and will be removed on May 21, 2013
All applications must be received before May 21, 2013
Learning Disabilities Association of Yukon
Please Contact: Stephanie Hammond
Phone: (867) 668-5167
Address: 107 Main Street
To apply for this Job
Apply in person, by mail or through email with CV and covering letter.