Hourly Wage/Annual Salary
Hours per Week
Full-time (35-40 hours)
About this Job
Labourer, Operations (3 Positions)
Temporary Full Time
Immediately until March 1, 2014
The incumbents supply general labouring services to the Operations Department.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
. Completion of Grade 10
. Class 3 Driver's License with Air Endorsement (or ability to obtain within 1 year)
. Confined Space Entry Certificate
. Traffic Control Certificate
. Standard First Aid Certificate with Level C CPR
. Transportation of Dangerous Goods & WHMIS Certificates
. Electrical Overhead Wire Course
. Previous Experience - 1 year related
. Demonstrated team work, adaptability & dependability skills
. Ability to do heavy physical work for a complete 10-hour shift
Required To Operate Equipment Such As:
Pickup truck, 1 ton truck, hand tools, towed sweeper, 3 ton and leak vibratory rollers, steer loader(bobcat), asphalt spreader, pot hole patcher, tar kettle, jackhammer, cut-off saw, chainsaw, tamper, pull broom, pavemaster roller, and cement mixer, service van, 1 ton flat bed truck, dewatering pumps, generators, hand and power tools, electric winch crane, manual sewer tapes, fork lift, diesel compressors, diesel and gas vibratory compactors, water service grease gun, rental equipment, pneumatic valve exerciser, hot water thaw pumps, self breathing apparatus, water and metal detectors, and gas detectors, winch/tripod harness, communications equipment, computer with applications such as Outlook and ERP, bobcat and attachments, tree chipper and trailers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1.Performs road repairs and traffic control functions and assists with forming and finishing of concrete curbs, gutters, sidewalks and pads.
2. Assists in the laying and backfilling of pipes, adjusting, grouting and benching manholes and catchbasins, and clearing plugged or frozen pipes and appurtenances.
3. Follows, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards. Ensures public safety while flagging or performing other duties around traffic and work sites.
4. Shovels snow and clears brush.
5. Performs maintenance and installations on bridges, large culverts, guardrails, and street light standards.
6. Backfills and compacts excavated areas and returns area around projects to its original state. This could involve building retaining walls or fences and replacing lawns, shrubs and trees.
7. Moves material and tools between jobs, hauls towed equipment and distributes supplies to City Departments.
8. Assists with sign shop and pumphouse crews, and all other City departments with labouring duties.
9. Answers or distributes enquiries.
10.Acts as Packer Operator and HEO1 as assigned.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
This is a Salary Range 5 position.
Interested candidates should forward applications/ resumes, clearly outlining how their experience and education meet the position requirements, to email@example.com by 11:59 pm, November 21, 2013. Please quote job posting #120-OPS-13.
This job was posted on Nov 14, 2013
and will be removed on Nov 21, 2013
All applications must be received before Nov 21, 2013
City of Whitehorse
To apply for this Job
Interested candidates should forward resumes, clearly outlining how their experience and education meet the position requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org by the specified closing date. Please quote the job posting reference.